Looking for a healthy snack? These homemade granola bars are packed with nutritious ingredients and are delicious!
- 1 Cup organic oats
- 1 Cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ¾ cup of dried fruit or chocolate chips
1. Place oats in a bowl and add the water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (you can also use lemon juice, whey, buttermilk or yogurt in place of the apple cider vinegar) Stir well and leave on the counter for at least 7 hours and as long as 24 hours. Once the oats have been soaked, rinse and strain through a mesh strainer. You can gently press on the oats to help remove the water more quickly.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and transfer the strained oats to a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Be sure to spread the oats out as much as possible. Cook oats until they are dry, about 45 minutes, stirring and breaking up about every 10 minutes. The more the oats are broken up the quicker they will dry.
3. Toss the dried oats, macadamia nuts, and shredded coconut on the same cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes, stirring half way.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 150 degrees
5. Transfer the oat, macadamia nut and coconut mixture to a mixing bowl.
6. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
7. Place the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, salt and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for one minute and then turn off the heat. Continue to stir while slowly adding the flax meal and gelatin. Once everything is well dissolved, pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Stir in the ¾ cup of dried fruit. Pour the mixture into the prepared 8×8 baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
8. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes and score the bars. Let the bars continue to cool and set for another 30-60 minutes before you completely cut and serve.